During my cancer journey, I read Louise Hay’s book, You Can Heal Your Life, and developed an interest in affirmations.
What is an affirmation?
An affirmation states an outcome or truth you wish to impress upon your mind. While the affirmation doesn’t actually make things happen, it can raise your vibration so that you are more receptive to the desired outcome.
At first wary, I slowly warmed up to the topic and adopted several of Louise’s suggestions:
Every cell of my body radiates health.
I relax and let my body heal itself.
I lovingly do everything I can to assist my body in maintaining physical health.
I also liked using the following mantra-like affirmation from French psychologist Émile Coué de la Châtaigneraie:
Every day, in every way, I’m getting better and better.
Having experienced success with these health-based affirmations, I decided to use this technique to help achieve my writing goals. And I wanted to create my own personal affirmations rather than piggy-backing on someone else’s success.
Here are the affirmations I’ve used during the past eleven years of my writing journey:
My words flow easily.
Each day, I write with confidence and enthusiasm.
I submit a manuscript that is well received by a publishing house.
Joyful and creative, I delight in inspiring and motivating others with my written work.
Tips for Writing and Using Affirmations
1. Use the first person and the present tense.
2. Keep the affirmations brief and limited. Focus on one or two until you’ve incorporated them into your psyche.
3. Don’t sabotage yourself with an unrealistic goal. For example, “My book achieves best-seller status” is too much of a jump for an unpublished writer who is struggling with the first draft of her book.
4. Practice your affirmations each day. You can say them first thing in the morning, while looking in the mirror, or while exercising.
5. Write down your affirmations. You can stick them on your mirror or bulletin board, post them on your computer, or carry them in your purse or wallet.
Any affirmations out there? Please share.
Where to find Joanne Guidoccio…