Psst: A Secret #2 Adding Emotion to our stories

author 100 x 100When I was a tad younger, I went to a party with friends. At that time, a college buddy owned a moped shop. He was searching for a young lady to represent his store at an RV show’s beauty contest. I had modeled in college and knew I could do it, but should I?

After plying me with a couple of margaritas, he, my roommate, and another guy convinced me to do it.

In my later years, I’ve told this story, describing the (younger) contestants (especially the tiaragirl with blonde cornrows), the judges (one was a former professional football quarterback), and attempting to drop a few pounds. When I began writing, people would say, “You should write a story about that.”

Huh. Could I? Do writers take elements and experiences from their own lives and add them to their work?

The idea germinated. I had to try. It grew and grew and flourished into a romantic comedy short story, “Raving Beauty.”

I’m a pantser, and when my fingers are flying over the keys, images and words pop in my head and flow to the keyboard. If my heroine put on pajamas, bingo! pink polka-dotted ones filtered into my brain. I have polka-dotted pjs. If my hero or heroine has a pet, I might name them after mine or a name I’ve considered.

I could describe what a beauty contestant felt like (and I must admit, not my first rodeo). When the heroine fell off the stage, I knew how to perfectly describe her torn ligaments (dance team performance during halftime at a high school football game). And for backup, I asked my fellow writer friend for her experience with the surgery she’d had and with the knee trolley.

I call it a secret.

I just don’t rely on myself for information cause that seems rather narcissistic. I ask others. I do research. Romance stories convey emotion and by placing myself in predicaments or asking others for their personal knowledge, I’m better able to translate the information, but more importantly, the emotion to the page. We want the reader emotionally involved in our stories so they continue to turn the page.

So I bet you’re wanting to know if there are more secrets in my stories. Psst: want to know a secret?

just-you-and-me My romantic comedy short story, “Raving Beauty,” is in the Just You and Me boxed set and is available for preorder now. Check it out and all the other authors at: Amazon

By the way, a tiara is on the line. lol

rssos march madness giveaway

Enter Here!

Advertisements

28 thoughts on “Psst: A Secret #2 Adding Emotion to our stories

1. vicki says:

Hi, Joanne! You know how I like to add my funny. The torn ligaments weren’t funny and to this day, the injury plagues me. Fortunately, surgeries improved over doing nothing philosophy from back in the day. Thank you.

Liked by 1 person

• vicki says:

Hi, Mary! It’s pretty frightening to type a word in a doc and then see where one’s pants can take one. I’m happy with this baby. True confession: I love all my babies.

2. Melissa Keir says:

I always love to throw a little real life into my stories. Twice now I’ve had my heroine toss her towels on the bathmat as she steps into the tub… my editor always asks why she doesn’t put them on the toilet or counter… I tell her because it’s what I do!

Liked by 3 people

3. vicki says:

Hi, Melissa! I put them on the door to the shower. Each of us do things differently and if those things we do are applied to a character, we have to make sure they are appropriate for the character. Thank you.

Liked by 2 people

4. Marsha R. West says:

Hey, Vicki. I certainly draw from my own experiences and I’m sure my broken ankle and torn ligament will show up in a story sometime. Yikes, what an experience. I’m so envious of your tiara. I’ve shared.:) Look forward to reading this story.

Liked by 1 person

5. S.A.Taylor says:

Great post, Vicki! I love how you work these little secrets into your stories. I have threaded in many of my own experiences into stories. I recently learned my friends are a little worried that someday they’ll end up in one of my novels.

Can’t wait to read Raving Beauty!

Liked by 2 people

6. vicki says:

Hi, Stephanie! I know exactly what you mean and have added characters like #2 son in my stories. He is thoroughly embarrassed when he finds out. Good. I live to embarrass #1 and #2. LOL

Liked by 1 person

• vicki says:

Hi, Jacquie! I’m excited I was accepted to be a part of the set. I don’t know if you are a beauty queen if you don’t win??? LOL. But did try. Husbands say the most interesting things. And sometimes that jumpstarts my stories. Hugs.

Liked by 1 person