Christmas at my house

I’ve spent all week finishing the day job for the year and wondering what to write in this post. I’ve spent all day running errands, finishing shopping, and wondering what to write in this post. I’ve finally written a post that is WAY too depressing for the holiday. I’ve put it in the trash.

Every year, I think, “This is the year I get in the holiday spirit. We’re going to have a tree and a party. I’m going to wrap presents, make candy, and play Christmas music. I’m going to decorate outside, and have lights …”

Instead, this is what my poor husband, Mr. Perfect, has to deal with at Christmas.

1. MP: “Do we have a wreath?”
    Me: “Ummm. Yes? Somewhere in the basement, maybe?” Digs around under boxes and finds one. “Here. Just unsquish it a little. It’ll be fine.”
  1. MP: “Do we have Christmas cards ? We need to send some.”
    Me: “I think I bought some on sale last year. Didn’t I give them to you? Do you need stamps?”
  1. MP: “What about a tree? Nevermind, I’ll get the little tea-light tree out from last year.”
  2. Me: “What’s this CD on your desk?”
    MP: “Merry Christmas.”
    Me: “Is this a new coffee cup in the dishwasher?”
    MP: “Well, I was trying to hide it to keep you from finding it like you did the CD. Merry Christmas.”
  1. Me: “I  have your Christmas present in the trunk. Will you help me carry it upstairs?”
  2. MP: “Do you want to watch the Military Channel or the Hallmark Channel?”
    Me: “Military Channel, please.”
  1. MP: “What are we getting …”
    Me: “Don’t worry. I have a list. Everything’s on the way from Amazon already wrapped and shipped to Mom’s. We’re good.”
  1. MP: “I have to work on Christmas. Will you be okay by yourself?”
    Me: “Don’t worry. I’ve got a frozen pizza and a few chapters to write.”

I have the most understanding, Christmas loving, husband in the world (and a new Christmas wreath). He is my best present every year. Sometimes, when the holiday gets the best of me, or when writing gets the best of me, it’s great to remember that.

Whatever you do on this holiday, I hope you spend time with people who love you just the way you are. And I hope you have time to read a good book.

Mia Kay - thumbnailMerry Christmas!

Mia

Find me at:
Advertisements

15 thoughts on “Christmas at my house

1. Kathryn Jane says:

Fabulous! I don’t do much about Christmas, and always have to remind myself that hubby wants a bit done. But luckily, a string of lights across the mantle is enough to make him happy… sounds like we both found the mates “meant” for us!

Liked by 3 people

2. Jacquie Biggar says:

I’m on the other end of the scale. Usually, I have the tree up and the house and yard decorated right after Remembrance Day. Because you know, it’s a lot of work, and I want some enjoyment out of it, darn it!
    DH could care less, he’s more the Scrooge, bah, humbug, type, but that’s okay, I still love him 🙂
    Merry Christmas, ladies! Very glad to be part of this fantabulous group!

Liked by 3 people

3. Joanne Guidoccio says:

Hi Mia, For decades, my family and I went all out for Christmas. Since the death of our parents, we’ve streamlined considerably. I can recall being exhausted and at the end of my rope but then it all magically came together on Christmas Day.

Merry Christmas to all! 🙂

Liked by 3 people

4. vicki says:

Hi, sweetie! I did drop a couple of things but because I held Thanksgiving at my house and was at the company conference the week before. The dining, living, and family rooms are all aglow with the stuff. Handsome asked me if I sent out Christmas cards. “Yes. You saw me addressing them last week.” “I didn’t see the mailing list.” I couldn’t say a thing. He’s never asked to see the mailing list. sigh. Happy holidays!

Liked by 2 people

• Mia Kay says:

Vicki – we even went out of town on Thanksgiving! 🙂 We celebrated the holiday on top of a mountain – just the two of us. I do find I enjoy the holidays a lot more now that he and I have almost two weeks off together at the end of the year (or with him, in general). Merry Christmas to you and Handsome!

Liked by 1 person

5. Marsha R. West says:

Hey, Mia. So funny. I just finished writing my post for Friday, and its so much like yours. LOL Christmas is tough on lots of us.
    We’ve downsized a lot this year, so I didn’t have much to do. Didn’t have much to do with. It’s fine. It’s really all about the people anyway. (Must remember to go add that line to Friday’s post.
    So grateful to be a part of this great group. 🙂

Liked by 2 people

• Mia Kay says:

Marsha – it really is all about the people. We’re spending today surrounded by friends who are like family and then next week we’ll get to see my family. In between, we’ll catch up on everything we don’t get to do throughout the year because of our schedules. Merry Christmas!

Liked by 1 person

6. N. N. Light says:

I loved this post, Mia! In fact, the more I read, the more it reminded me of one of my favorite songs, Christmas at My House (https://youtu.be/VoYot4c1YU4). Christmas can be overwhelming for some and at the end of the day, the holidays are all about love and being around those who love you unconditionally. I love that your hubby completely understands you and loves you for you.

I, on the other hand, am married to a man who loves Christmas just as much as I do. We decorate right after Canadian Thanksgiving and start listening to Christmas music in August. Yeah I know, we’re weird but we love it!

I grew up with a mother who embodied Martha Stewart. Everything had to be just right. I’m not like that and I’m happy just the way I am.

Happy Holidays, everyone!