15th Anniversary

photo71  photo59

Today we commemorate the 15th anniversary of one of the darkest days of our nation and indeed of the world. The pictures above are from a visit to the 9/11 Memorial. The Museum hadn’t opened yet, but was nearing completion. If you ever have a chance to visit, please do. It’s very moving.

The heroine in my 4th published book, ACT OF TRUST, Book 2 of the Second Chances Series, lost her husband on 9/11. Below you can read my comments in the beginning of the book about why this date means so much to me.

Author’s Personal Note

If you’re of a certain age, 9/11 resonates with you in the way Pearl Harbor did with the Greatest Generation.

We all know where we were when the planes hit the towers. Many lost loved ones or acquaintances, and we all have our stories.

My younger daughter and her husband moved to New York City on Sunday 9/9. As the principal in an elementary school, I’d arrived on that Tuesday at my regular time, around 7:15 to get a jump-start on the day. My husband normally left later for his downtown high-rise to miss the traffic. He never went in that day after receiving a call from a good friend telling him to turn on the TV.

It was three that afternoon before I knew my daughter and her husband were okay. Trying to keep staff, kids, and parents calm in the face of what we didn’t know took my focus. I was one of the very lucky ones. My family was okay.

So SECOND ACT is a personal story to me. I admire those who’ve gone on after losing a loved one in this tragic experience. I can’t imagine it, though, as a writer, that’s my job. I hope I’ve honored their loss. I hope people find comfort in the happily ever after ending of the story.

A portion of the sale of each book will be sent to the 9/11 Memorial Gardens and Museum. If you care to donate directly as well, here’s the link:  http://www,911memorial.org

51AoTTvhxHL

Please take a moment to remember those lost, the heroism displayed by so many, and pray for those who were left. Where were you on 9/11?

Advertisements

18 thoughts on “15th Anniversary

• marsharwest says:

You’re welcome, Sharon. Glad you liked it. I’ve had this large ball of emotion just camped in the middle of my chest all day. Had to go see my daughter and her husband who were in NYC that day just to hug them. My daughter told me three of her friends who were also there on 9/11 check in with each other each anniversary.

Liked by 1 person

1. Kathryn Jane says:

A lovely post, Marsha. Thank you for the reminder, of what 9/11 means to me.

9/11 made me proud to be Canadian. To belong to a country who opened it’s doors to all those stranded by the US airspace being shut down.
    Canada was able to provide spaces for about 240 aircraft (many of them jumbo jets) to land, and for over 30,000 people to be housed, fed, and cared for until their flights could continue on their way, days later.

9/11 made me proud to be human. Proud to watch the pulling together, the helping out, and the overall kindness of people worldwide who in a time of need, looked after each other, whether it was by sharing a bottle of water with a stranger, hugging a stranger, or helping someone write a letter to a friend.

9/11 made me realise my own strength as I had to face (just days later) having to traveling across the country, alone, at a time when everyone’s safety was uncertain. It made me tell my hubby that if the world went crazy and travel wasn’t permitted for whatever reason and he had to leave the city, he should leave word for me at our house, because even if I had to steal a car, or ride a horse, I’d somehow make it home.

Yes, 9/11 was a turning point, even those of us worlds away from New York.

Liked by 3 people

• marsharwest says:

Wow, Kathryn, this was beautiful. I’m so glad you posted on FB about the Delta Airlines attendant whose plane landed in Gunderson (I think) and how the towns people took in all the passengers from 58 airplanes. I’d never heard that story or the one about the boats taking people from lower Manhanttan to NJ. (Also a FB video) If anything good can come from this colossal tragedy, it’s the stories of people helping complete strangers, the stories of amazing heroism. Thanks for sharing.

Liked by 1 person

• marsharwest says:

Hey, Jacquie. We should be better than that, but history is ripe with stories of people doing horrible things in “God’s name.” From the woman killing her children because God told her to the Spanish Inquisition to the mess in the Middle East right now. Sad for sure and yet, we are blessed by the stories of those who rise above the hatred. Thanks for moving our hot lines to Monday letting me do the post on 9/11.

Liked by 1 person

2. vicki says:

I was folding clothes and watching the news. The reporter said their was talk about some plane hitting a tower and I remembered my neighbor talking about on her anniversary how a plane hit the empire state building. But no, nothing like that. And as I watched, the second was hit. Life drained from my body. So far, our world doesn’t seem to want to get along which is incredibly sad.

Liked by 3 people

• marsharwest says:

Hey, Vicki. Yes, I think that’s the worst thing about all of this. We came together some (except for some people’s paranoia about Muslems) and it was the good that came from such evil. But now, people are so mean to each other. Instead of just divorcing a husband or wife, the spouse kills the other, regardless of what impact that will have on the kids–one dead parent and one a murderer! Just nuts you know. 😦 Thanks for stopping by I do believe most people are good, but gosh some folks make that a a really hard belief to cling to.

3. J.Q. Rose says:

I read your novel (and enjoyed it very much). I do believe the happy ending fits the book. I always remember what Adam Hamilton said, “The worst thing isn’t the last thing.” We have to look for the good that can rise from the tragedies. So difficult at the time, I know.